Pages

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

A Virgin Blogger: Journal Entry #1

Well, I first considered the old fashioned approach to journaling, a dusty notebook stashed in the bottom of some drawer. After packing and moving for the millionth time a box of old half-finished journals, I opted for a more modern, less bulking approach, an electronic journal or my blog. I figured it could be a different, fun and a not such a middle-school past time! Plus I could use the typing and writing practice. It won't be terrifically inspiring or artistically composed as many blogs are that I read, however, it will be an important history of Powell Family life.

With Addison changing daily and our lives changing almost as often I thought I should be writing it down somewhere. I may share my journal and I may not. I doubt anyone besides me and maybe someday Addi will care to read it.

So with 17 or so days left in Salt Lake City I am faced with mixed emotions. I am so sad to leave our wonderful friends, Kenton, Julie, and Carley. What a blessing they have been to our lives. They have filled the past 15 months with happiness, adventure and laughter. We have seen many hours inside the mass shopping malls, many trips to the local pools and dog parks. We have spent many hours laughing, barbecuing and chatting in our yards and living rooms. We have challenged each other at board games and card games. If I may add, the girls almost always win!! I will never forget Kenton's "drawing" ability. It is like no other I have seen!! We've shared many stories, both tragic and happy. We have had the privilege of being apart of welcoming Carley Denise into the world. What a joy to watch her grow and learn. Addison is equally amazed by her. She often asks for Carley when only a few hours have passed since we have seen her! One of her first "real words" was Carley! BFFs for life! So the thought of leaving such wonderful people is saddening. It isn't too often in life we are able to meet people who end up becoming truly amazing, life long friends.

Leaving the big 'ol city, however, is exciting. I am anxious to leave behind the traffic, the noise, the Mexican Mafia neighbors, and the rude people. I will miss the beautiful scenery, the mountains in the winter are a beautiful sight. I will miss our Smith Clan. It has been great living so close to them. "In the hood", according to Aunt Moni. Addison loves to go see Madi and the kitties. I know she will miss that as well. The great dinners and time spent chatting about anything and everything. I am excited to have my Dylan back. He is so busy and often so stressed he is unrecognizable to me. It will be nice to have a river close that I can kick him onto if need be!! I am excited to be near our families again. However, it has been great to be removed from the drama for a while. I am looking forward to Thursday night dinner with Pa again! I know Addison will love and end up craving her grandparents constant attention.

So, yah, to say the least, I have mixed emotions! The packing is almost complete and now the cleaning must begin. With Dylan, "needing to study", the task is left solely to me. Well, and Addison! She loves to help unpack the boxes as fast as I get them packed. I taped together a box for her toy basket today. Just to test it out to see if the basket would fit I lifted to basket into the box. Addi started to shriek, "Noooooo". She was frantically throwing her favorite toys out the box. Poor girl. I bet she is so confused about all of this. Every day a little more stuff is hidden and her home is looking less and less like her home. The dogs are equally confused. Mason is never more that 3 inches off my heals all day long. You can hear him thinking, "Oh, please don't leave me in Utah. I will be good, I promise." He is as anxious to get back to the land of endless trails and rivers as Dylan is.

Addi has woke up from her nap and is climbing all over me trying to type her own thoughts while emptying my wallet of it's contents (her favorite thing to do). Time to close for now.

Not bad for the first entry!! Hopefully, I will stick to it.

3 comments:

  1. You are a pretty doggone good writer. Keep it up. I think this is a great way to keep a journal. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you never stop amazing me and I know you never will! How you find the energy for all the different tasks at hand I will never know. I can't wait to know that you can actually be here in person if I need you! And what is this talk of BFF's?!?! Now listen-these friends will have to fight for you! Just teasing, the more the marrier! See you soon!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, how lucky you are to have such a wonderful father. I am glad that Dylan learned how important it is to spend time with his family, it was something we didn't do much because of "work" we still do not do because of "work". Good for you guys to get it right, you will never regret it.

    ReplyDelete