Pages

Friday, March 15, 2013

A Year Gone By

One year ago we were packing up and driving north to our new home. This time to the tiny farming and ranching town of Choteau, Montana.  We were anxious and so excited to start this new chapter.  It would be our home for at least the next three years. It would be the place Landon would do all of his 'firsts' and where Addison would start school. It was smaller than any place we had lived before and we really did not know what to expect. Dylan and I had always thought we wanted to end up in a place like Choteau, to raise our kids in a small town and we were so happy to be living this dream.



We have moved so many times. I think we counted once and Addi, in 4 years lived in 8 different homes. We had our daughter before our life was settled. We hadn't yet lined up the so-called pre-child ducks. She has been with us through many life decisions and changes and I am glad for that. When Dylan was working late on the ambulance or gone all day at PA school and then studying all hours of the evening I had Addi to keep me company. She was my littlest best friend and we had so much fun together. With every new experience I am so happy to have my munckins by my side.


Addi, one year ago. Freezeout Lake


Once in Choteau we were anxious to get moved in, unpack and start exploring. There was some major mis-communication on Landlord Hubby's part when we were ready to move in. Let me tell you if Dylan had done what Landlord Hubby did to his poor wife, Dylan would not have survived! The first couple days in Choteau we stayed at the hotel. Dylan's start date at the hospital was just a couple days before our move-in date. One evening we drove to our new home in hopes of putting our perishable food into the fridge. We were scheduled to move in the following morning. Dylan and Landlord Hubby agreed to our move-in date and we scheduled the movers. Whatever makes husbands forget certain details, in this case, a major life altering detail, Landlord Hubby bombed it big time! Landlord Hubby I guess forgot to mention to poor Landlord Wife that we would be moving in (I'm not really sure of the exact details, but somehow, she was not expecting us to be there that weekend!). When we knocked on the door that evening to ask if we could put our food in the fridge she really had no idea we were coming, she barely found out we would be renting their home. Her fridge was, understandably, still full of her families food! Even though we told her that it was absolutely fine for us to move our things into the garage and then stay at the hotel for as long as we needed to, she busted her buns that night to finish moving out and moving her things into their new unfinished home and then spent the whole night cleaning our new house! When the moving truck pulled up the next morning at 9 am the house was perfectly empty and clean. I seriously do not know how she did it. You are better women than me Landlord Wife. I would not have been able to get all of that done and I would have literally killed my husband!

Landon, one year ago

It is such a special place and I feel really lucky to live here, to be apart of such a proud community. The flashing four way stop is the only traffic light in town and the single movie theater still serves real butter on its popcorn.  We actually know our neighbors and Addi leaves them notes and flowers, just to say hello. The community pulls together to raise money for a new community pool and to transform the outdated movie theater to digital. The prideful atmosphere of the Friday night football games are straight out of the movies. Our roads are painted with bulldog footprints and the farming fields are decorated with maroon and gold hay-bail artwork. The bleachers are packed to support our high school athletes.  Hyper border collies run laps on the back of the flatbed farm trucks. Cowboy hats and boots are not a fashion statement here, but required work gear.  And let me tell you, I never get tired of seeing those real Montana cowboys in their uniforms! Everyone waves hello, whether on foot or in a car. Everyone says good morning with a smile. Watching teenage girls ride their horses through town is common. I love seeing a pony-drawn horse carriage dropping kids off to soccer practice and music class! The grocery clerks walk my groceries to my car for me, every time, no matter the load. You hear the cows, you smell the cows and often you wait for the cows to cross the highway before you can continue on your way. People from all over make a point to come celebrate the Fourth of July here. After last year, I wouldn't miss this celebration for anything and I invite you to come next year!! It is an absolute blast. New friends brought us cards, baskets of cinnamon rolls and bottles of wine, just to welcome us.  Canadian Geese and Snow Geese are popular knickknacks in our skies. Lately their peaceful honking lets you know they are making their way back. Often a sweet Hutterite man with his suspenders tightened over his shoulders and large brimmed hat protecting his sun-soaked face will knock on my door asking if I could use fresh bread, eggs or potatoes and sometimes homemade pie! The sunsets over the giant mountains are like non I've ever seen before. It is a beautiful place. So calm. So happy. So peaceful. So genuine. Things are simple here. And I like simple.

 We are very comfortable and happy here. I am so thrilled to say ...  Choteau, you feel like home.

spring picnic, exploring our new home

No comments:

Post a Comment