Pages

Monday, November 1, 2010

Rock Creek Wildlife

On our way to Missoula, Addi and I took a quick drive up Rock Creek. I was looking for something I am pretty sure I left there a few weeks ago. I am so upset at myself. I really don't want to talk about it. The trip was worth it for the beautiful fall wildlife we observed.



There was a herd of 40 or so ewes and 5 massive Big Horn Sheep Rams. It was so interesting watching the rams interact. I could immediately identity the dominate ram. The "smaller" rams would approach him with their bodies stiff and their heads held low. They would stop about 10 feet from the dominant ram and hold this subordinate position until the dominant ram acknowledged them. After slight eye contact or a slight forward moment from the dominant ram the subordinate ram would give the dominant ram a ram embrace, rubbing their horns against each other and rubbing their faces on each other. It was very interesting.



1 comment: