Pages

Thursday, July 19, 2012

My Grandpa, 85 Years Young

My Grandpa Dave turned 85 in May. Who would know! I hope I am that spunky, witty, and good-looking when I am 85!

To celebrate, my family gathered at the Lolo Hot Springs campground for some fun --- done Terry style! There are so many of us it is difficult to get everyone to one spot. However, most were there! The Smith Clan - Aunt Moni, Uncle Mike, Mack (his girlfriend Raina) and Madi were up from Utah! Uncle Ron and Aunt Merna were there with a 1/3 of their brood, Easton. Uncle Roger and his frisbee crazed border collie Rex were there. Mom, Mark and the J's, Uncle Rick, Aunt Shelly, Roz and Riley and Aunt Becky, her husband Dennis, Carter and Carley were all there.  We were missing Sara, Ellie and cousins Lena, Miles, Tasha, DJ and Megan. I looked at Grandpa and said, "Grandpa, you did all of this!" He said with a smile, "Don't remind me!"

Those whom eluded my camera: Uncle Ron, Jessica, Jaci, Rozi & Carter
Daddy and Landon being cute together.

We had all quickly gathered when Grandpa went into the camper. Jessica, Madi & Rozi arranged cupcakes into a '85'. He was a little surprised when he came out and we were all staring at him and singing Happy Birthday! Aunt Shelly put together a beautiful scrapbook full of pictures and written memories and gave it to him. What I wrote for the scrapbook is at the end of this post.


Mom surprised Grandpa and dressed up in a dress that Grandpa's mother hand-sewn and wore over 70 years ago. My Great-Grandmother must have been the smallest women ever. Her dress was tight on my tiny mom!


Grandma took Addi across the street to the swimming pool. Addi of course, had a blast swimming! We had enough cousins and uncles to form two full volleyball teams! We played some very competitive volleyball for a really long time! My forearms and legs are still sore!

At dinnertime Dylan, the kids and I headed back into town. The rest of the clan stayed and camped a night. We had a great time and I am pretty sure we have the most fun family ever!


Arguing with something Daddy is telling her!



______________________________________________________________________________________

Written to my Grandpa, for his birthday scrapbook:



Grandfather. For me it is a word packed full of meaning. For me, the word grandfather means strength, perseverance, wisdom, history, humor, kindness, hard working, compassion, generosity, warmth and pride. My grandfather knows everything and he gave me the greatest gift he could give --- he shared that knowledge with me.

Walking With Grandpa
Author: Rodney O. Hurd

I like to walk with Grandpa, his steps are short like mine. He doesn’t say, “Now hurry up.” He always takes his time. I like to walk with Grandpa, his eyes see things like mine; a birdie bright, a funny cloud, a penny that really shines. Most people are in a hurry, they do not stop and see; I’m glad that God made Grandpa unrushed, and almost as young as me.


When I reflect on 30 years of memories with you Grandfather it is difficult to separate my love and admiration for you into individual memories.  Naturally, my mind goes first to the lessons. All the lessons you inadvertently were teaching me throughout my young life.

I was barely able to sit on a chair and see over the round kitchen table, watching you scribbling notes, construction idea doodles or math lessons on the backside of an already used piece of paper. Never formal. Through conversation, quizzing and story telling you are always teaching me.

In the backyard watching you plant your pansies, pick strawberries or tend to the plum tree you spoke of science, family and faith. How things grow and why we grow them and what it all means to you.

I remember spending time with you in the terrifying basement, not scary when Grandfather is there, watching you. Together - you, me and Sara are hunched around the fireplace getting ready to start a fire. “What three things are needed to make fire?” you nonchalantly asked. Several minutes went by of us pondering and answering incorrectly many times. You waited patiently for Sara and I to come up with the answers our self. Once the question was answered we started the fire.  

After I graduated from college you thought you would give me my final quiz. A ball of fur you handed to me. “What animal is this from?” I knew right off, but was so nervous to answer wrong, to disappoint you somehow. Although growing up I knew that was really never possible. “Bison fur.”, I stuttered. Hoping my confidence was directed properly. A big smile from you Grandfather, meant I passed!

You may have thought it was my final quiz. Learning from you will never stop with age or earning a degree. That will always be your legacy to our family --- learning. I thank you for instilling in me, in all of us, the love of learning. Whether through schooling or more importantly through living and experiencing life you have always encouraged us to never stop learning.  I hope to pass that passion on to Addison & Landon.

Happy Birthday Grandfather. I have ALWAYS known how much you love me and I have ALWAYS felt how proud you are of me. You are an inspiration to me. I only hope to live as fully as you do.

All my love,
Brandi Jo

2 comments:

  1. Nice job Brandi Jo! I have pictures from volleyball that I will have to send you. I have some great pictures of you diving for the ball in your nice dress! And pictures of the "pets on leashes" sign with like 3 dogs running around on the volleyball court! It is always exciting to get everyone together and see all of the grandkids interracting and having fun.

    ReplyDelete