Pages

Friday, April 5, 2013

Just Another Wildlife Safari

We left the house late Thursday evening and headed to the grocery store to pick up milk. My famous last words: All we need is milk! Along with the milk I spontaneously decided to grab a box of ice cream bars and keep-on-a-drivin.

A quick trip to get milk turned into a wildlife safari, which turned into a rescue mission. And it was AWESOME!

We have a favorite evening drive. We are never disappointed at the amount of wildlife that come down into the fields in the evening. This time of year our fingers (and toes) are crossed to get lucky enough to see a grizzly bear wandering around doing his thing.

It was just the kids and I. Dylan was out of town for the day getting our taxes prepared and of course, fishing!

We saw a bunch of whitetail and mule deer, a pair of large eagles, a perched hawk and two different sets of elk.  Landon got so excited at the deer running near his open window he clear as day said while flapping with excitement and pointing, "deer." My kids get excited to see a fuzzy headed yearling cow on the side of the road, so anything in addition to cattle is extra fun.

We could have turned home just then, before we even hit the dirt road and we would have been fully satisfied.

{The time of evening we were out is perfect for seeing wildlife, not so perfect for photos, not with the equipment I have anyway.}





The beaver, sitting to the left of the dam!



It was getting dark quickly. I pulled over to point out to Addi the giant beaver dam. Just beyond the dam was a beaver up on the bank. We watched as he slipped silently into the water. Just before I put down my binoculars to put the car back into gear I saw something else move. Could it be? Yes, it was --- a grizzly bear!! He was far away, but visible with my binoculars. He was moving around, slowly eating. He was two-toned. His head and rump were dark, his hump was light. He rolled around on his back at one point. He was a smaller bear. Most likely a young male. I was bummed that it was too dark for Addi to make him out among the over grown marsh.

Once the darkness took completely over I started the car to turn around and go home. Well, I attempted to start the car that is. My battery had died. We were stranded in the dark. On the up side we were not alone in the dark! That little bear and beaver was near, somewhere in the dark. With my battery being dead I was unable to roll up my electric window. I had my eyes peeled to the dark marsh watching for any signs of movement. Was I concerned with the bear investigating us and our open car window? No. But Addi was! She had spilled a pack of fruit snacks earlier and said, "You just have to get your window up. I spilled all those fruit snacks. He just came out of hibernation and he is hungry. He will want those fruit snacks."

Normally I am very prepared for time spent in the woods - bear spray, 9mm handgun, ammo, multiple flashlights, food, water, extra socks, fire starting supplies, hats etc, etc. I mean my father was a boy scout! I was well-trained and I am normally very well prepared for any emergency situation I might find myself in.  But remember when I said all I was doing was picking up milk! Yay, I was not prepared for any sort of adventure. Luckily, my spotty cell phone service was able to make a quick call and send a quick text to Dylan.

After 15 minutes or so had passed Addi was still very nervous about my window being open, she suggested I try turning on the car just one last time to get the window up. It worked! With us safely secured inside the car, all windows up, Addi was able to relax a little bit and wait for Daddy's headlights to beam around the corner announcing the arrival of our rescue team.

Dylan and Kenny found us, jumped my car, and within the hour we were on our way home.


This is us trying to hold it together! Waiting for our rescue team, nervous that my window is open (and unable to close it at this point) and our only light source is iPhone! 



Me: What did we learn Addi?
Addi: Always, always be prepared! And next time I will be sure to 
bring my backpack with my own flashlight.

See, there was a accidental lesson here! No harm, no foul!


No comments:

Post a Comment