Pages

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

It's A Boy -- Meet Nugget

It's been a long time coming. Addi has shed, in the past several months, too many tears over her  need for a baby bunny. Too many times we've said, not today, it's not the right time. Well, on Friday, I said yes. Not because anything had changed, not because we have purchased our own home or because one of our dogs passed away,  I just said yes. I said yes because she is five, for only a few more short months, and being five is something special. My five year old dreams big and loves even bigger. She is teetering on the edge of all grown up. I said yes because she is my little girl and her big heart for animals is something I understand and something I could no longer keep from her.

We made a quick trip to Missoula for Landon's developmental evaluation. We were running errands in town with Papa. For the fun of it we stopped in to see the animals. I had not made up my mind to go in and come out with a new baby. She picked him up first thing and did not put him down to hold any other animal the whole time we were there. He was so calm, the right breed and so, so sweet. I said, "Time to go." Her face dropped and she started in her separation anxiety meltdown that I anticipated every time she has her arms around a baby bunny. I looked deep into her little face and said, "Let's take him home." Her face lit up, her eyes literally filled with tears and she said, "Really, Mama. I can really have him." "Yes, my love. You can really have him." And that was it. He was hers and my heart was full for making her sweet, simple dream come true.




I had bunnies when I was little. My first rabbit was Georgy. I vividly remember him. I remember loving him and I also remember him being huge. I found this picture and I guess he wasn't as big as I remembered. I was tiny and he must have seemed so, so big on my three year old lap. My parents, particularly my dad always embraced my love of animals. I had many different pets. I consistently brought home stray animals, feed-store kittens and lost dogs. Sara and I spent our Saturdays while living in Bozeman with our mom catching wild snakes and keeping them for the day in our swimming pool. I had a groove full of wild rabbits and whenever I needed something small and furry to cuddle on I would catch a wild baby bunny. Growing up I had many furry and feathered pets - rabbits, rats, love birds, cockatiels, parakeets, dogs, cats and hamsters. My dad's only rule was it had to have fur or feathers, no reptiles! I did want to keep the bull snake that we found in the back of our truck after spending the day in the woods getting wood. My dad watched as I walked the snake down to the field to set it free. So many of my childhood memories include me and an animal. I attempted to raise frogs from tadpoles that I caught while camping. I helped to deliver and raise many litters of puppies and kittens. I watched my Golden Retriever attempt to nurse the sickly kitten I brought home. My dad built countless bunny hutches and hamster castles, filled dog-dug holes in the yard, scooped 18 years of animal poop and built bird nesting boxes. He built an incubator when I begged him to help me hatch and raise abandoned cockatiel eggs. To say the least he embraced my love of animals and throughout my childhood (and adulthood) he nurtured and encouraged that love.

circa, 1985

Dylan and I have had our dogs, Mason and Kya, since before we were married. When Addi was a toddler she had a leopard gecko. The gecko would sit on her highchair while she ate! After living with us for a year or so he developed a horrible eye infection and died. We've taken in and re-homed a couple rescue dogs since then, but other than that she hasn't had a pet of her own. I wanted so bad to embrace and encourage Addi's love of animals, to be raised in a home full of animals, the way I was. I may have however, opened Pandora's box! It never stops with just one bunny, not when Addi and I are involved. Daddy puts up a hard game. He tries to remain practical in all animal-related situations, "No more heartbeats." he says. But he melts around a baby animal just like the rest of us. In Addi's words, "Daddy took the bunny pretty well."




Papa modifying yet another pet cage!

"You are pretty cute!"

Over that past several days Bunny has had at least one new name each day. It started off as Cookie and then Clover, Lilo, Fudd (Daddy's silly name), Hot Dog and finally Nugget.

He is very sweet. He tolerates headlock hugs from Landon and being slimmed and continually followed by Mason. He is very mellow and he doesn't get startled. He gets frisky and kicks up his back legs while playing.  He gives kisses and climbs into the kid's lap. He sits calmly in the stroller and tolerates being swaddled. He remains alive when Landon death grips around his neck when someone tries to take him away!



The kids made him a house. 



No comments:

Post a Comment