Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Landon Wayne is Born

Thursday July 14th - Made the decision to deliver.
Dylan, Addi and I went to Great Falls for our weekly checkup on Landon. The ultrasound revealed that he was no longer improving but getting worse. We found new fluid in his chest cavity, the level of amniotic fluid increased a lot and we saw right-side heart failure. With these new findings Dr. Key made the call that we needed to deliver within the next couple days. We decided to come to Missoula to give birth. With a long stay in the NICU in his future likely, we wanted to be in Missoula surrounded by our family and friends.

Dr. Key called Dr. Utter, a perinatologist in Missoula and they talked for a long time. Ronnie got our medical records together and we headed to Helena. We packed quickly and headed for Missoula. We went straight to Community Hospital. Papa met us there and picked up Addi. Within 15 minutes of being in the hospital Dr. Utter was doing an ultrasound. He came to the same conclusions as Dr. Key and agreed that delivery of our little man was the best decision.

I was admitted to the hospital and throughout the night they monitored Landon's heart rate. They gave me more steroids to boost Landon's lung development.

Friday July 15th - Landon's Birth Day
First thing in the morning my wonderful nurse, Laurie, started prepping me for c-section. By 9 am I hugged and kissed Dylan, Emily, Jeff, Deaette, Mom and Jaci and walked into the OR. It was the most terrifying place I had ever been. I was so scared. Dylan had to wait to come until after I received the spinal block and was all hooked up on the operating table. There were 8 or 9 people buzzing around getting me ready and getting ready for Landon. It felt like I was abducted by aliens. All the bright lights, all the probing. Strangers doing things to all parts of my body. Once the spinal block kicked in, they draped the sheet and cut me open. Within 5 minutes Landon was out. He was born at 9:48 am. They laid him on my legs and drained some fluid from his abdomen. With some of the fluid gone they weighed him, 5 lbs. 6 oz and 17 inches long. He tried to cry after they removed the fluid. He made 4 or 5 little squeaks. Then the intibated him, worked on him for a bit in the OR. They wheeled him past me and I got a slight glimpse of him. I saw his little hand moving. He didn't look as fragile as I was expecting. His head was grotesquely swollen as they said it would be. Then he was gone and we had no idea what was happening to him or how he was doing.

They finished stitching me up and took me to recovery. I saw a friendly face waiting for me, Aleta Miller. She came in to take care of me. I was able to relax a bit having her there.

Dylan went to be with Landon. He was away for a while and came back in tears. It was really hard seeing Landon so vulnerable and covered in tubing. It is unbearable to wrap our minds around what he has to go through in order to survive. It gets very overwhelming very quickly.

Around noon they were able to finally stabilize Landon. Dylan checked on him regularly and got updates. He initially was having issues with his blood. Something about his O2 and CO2 levels and the amount of acid in his blood. His heart was working at only 20 %. He has a machine breathing for him. They put in a chest tube to continually drain fluid from chest cavity.

At around 3:30 pm I got to see him. It was really hard seeing him so fragile. I felt so helpless.
All I could do was hold his little hand and hope that he could sense that I was near. He was heavily sedated and was not moving or responding, although he did grasp my finger.

He made it through his first 24 hours. Throughout the night, Dr. Chaundry and Landon's nurses were constantly making tiny little changes in his fluids, meds ect to get everything right where he was most comfortable.

He has had several chest x-rays and blood drawn. His lungs are very small. Due to all the fluid in his abdomen there wasn't much room for his lungs to grow. His liver on the other hand is huge. His liver was having to work overtime filtering all that extra fluid.

Papa took care of Addison this whole time. I talked to her before bed and she was very upset. Papa knew something was bothering her but he couldn't get it out of her. She broke down on the phone and we learned why she was so upset. She said, "How is Landon feeling? Does he get to come home tomorrow?" When I told her no she broke down. She said, "I am not his big sister." She was very upset that he has to stay in the hospital. She was feeling like she wasn't his big sister unless he was home. Papa had the brilliant idea of letting Addi pick out something special for Addi to give Landon to keep in his bed. Brilliant Papa! Addi came back on Saturday and proudly gave her little brother a little pink bunny to keep near him. It made her feel a lot better. We told her that when Landon sees his little pink bunny he will know that his big sister loves him. Addi also got to see Landon open his eye and she held his hand.




Saturday July 16th - Day One
We had many visitors. It is wonderful having our family and friends here. I am so glad we decided to come to Missoula to have him. It was hard leaving Dr. Key, but I feel it was a good decision. Landon is in wonderful hands in the NICU.

Sara and Ellie got here late Saturday night. Papa, Sara and I went in to see Landon. We were just watching him, talking quietly. He opened one eye. We got a little excited and started talking to him. He was responding to our voices, but we were over stimulating him. When I would talk his little eye would move to my direction and when Papa talked from the other side of the bed his eye moved to Papa's direction. He is very sensitive to noise and we really upset him. He heart rate increased and he starting flailing his arms and legs. The nurse had to pin him down to calm him down. It broke my heart. I couldn't comfort him and talking to him upset him.Bold

Sunday July 17th - Day Two
Landon had an uneventful night. BJ, Landon's day nurse said it was uneventful, not boring, but eventful. Not entirely sure what that means. But he did not get worse. That is all I wait to hear. I let Dylan listen to all the medical jargon and translate to me.

By moving Landon into different positions they are able to use gravity to move the fluid. Some of the fluid had moved off of his forehead and he was able to get both of his eyes open. He even had a neck for a bit! He was a lot more calm this time. He does follow with his eyes. It is very sweet.


He had another echocardiogram this afternoon and his lung function took a huge, positive jump, from 35% to 70%! His lungs also expanded a little.

I was able to give Landon his first taste of breast milk. Using a Q-Tip I swabbed his mouth with breast milk. They will slowly introduce teeny tiny amounts of milk to get his system used to it.

I checked out of the hospital today. I am able to control the pain with Ibuprofen. I am actually feeling quite good. I can't help but feeling guilty. My poor little man is lying on a table, likely in some pain, being probed and poked and scanned and bothered. I would give anything to take his place.

Saying goodbye to Landon and walking out of the hospital without him was the hardest thing I've ever done. I know he is receiving the best care possible. I just wish there was more I could do for him.

Eventually, his body will be start to regulate the fluid. Once his vessels are able to maintain the fluid and keep the fluid inside his vessels he will begin to pull all this extra fluid back into his vessels and pee it out.

17 comments:

  1. Dear sweet Brandi, Dylan and Addison...
    You will never know this side of heaven, the number of people near and far that have been moved to pray for Landon and your entire family.
    And as we lift up our prayers for you, with our praises to God, they are a fragrant sacrifice to Him, the creator of the universe...who knows when a single sparrow falls to the ground and cares...the One who cares about a small bird cares so much more for we humans. He cares about Addi, and her longing to have her baby brother home so she can be a big sister. He knows your thoughts, and He knows your concerns. He has a plan and a purpose for Landon's life...knowing him before he was ever formed in your womb. And even as hard as all this is, He will sustain you. And maybe, this side of heaven, you may not understand the reason for any of this trial...but God does have purpose.
    We continue in prayer, believing in God's healing touch and compassionate love. We place our hope and trust in Him...believing in a testimony that will bring glory to Him and joy to you.
    With love overflowing,
    Joe & Deb Peltier

    ReplyDelete
  2. Powell Family,

    I heard your story though Deb Peltier. As I read your story of the last few days my heart is heavy and my eyes are dripping. May God give your family peace and strength.Your family are in our prayers!
    Niki Socha

    ReplyDelete
  3. My prayers continue as Landon improves a little at time. May "The Great I Am", who is "Able" and "Willing , comfort you and fill you with hope and confidence with each passing hour. Know that Landon is in the palm of God's hand. I pray for peace and comfort while you trust and believe in the miracle before you , and as you witness improvement hour by hour.
    With continued prayers and love
    ~diane loewen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for God's grace and mercy to sustain you in this time you are walking through. Know that we pray with you and for you.

    Patty Iverson

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know you, but my friend Jessi Bennion told me about your situation and I have been praying for all of you. May His everlasting arms be your comfort.

    - Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Powell Family;
    Sheila McIntosh, who is our neice posted on facebook about your baby and his need for prayer. It is always an amazing thing to watch the miracles our Lord will do when people ask. Our prayers will continue for you and your precious family. God Bless and keep you.
    The California Spangs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Read this the first time and cried, reading through it again and still crying. Life is so very, very fragile! I pray for you and your Landon throughout each and every day. I hope you can hold that sweet babe in your arms and take him home soon... He is a fighter and WILL continue to improve!

    ReplyDelete
  8. There is not an hour that goes by that I'm not thinking about you, praying for you. There is a special bond that us NICU moms have and I know you will never be the same because of this. You will be stronger, wiser, have more empathy, and you will have a greater perspective on life. Landon is already loved by so many, even though they might not know you guys personally. He is a fighter and is already beating the odds. I will continue to pray as you encounter the NICU rollercoaster. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Powell Family

    I pray that you feel all around you the Love of our Lord and that you know that there are alot of people that don't even know you are praying for your family and especially for your precious Landon. God loves you all so much. I will continue to pray for you all.
    Betty B.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I cannot imagine what you are going through right now. Thank you for sharing your story so we can continue to pray for your sweet little boy!! This time may bring questioning, trials, and pain...but always remember that God's love is bigger! Remember that faith shines even brighter when the road ahead looks dark.

    I'm with you.
    There's no need to fear for I'm your God.
    I'll give you strength. I'll help you.
    I'll hold you steady, keep a firm grip on you.
    Isaiah 41:10

    Bobby and Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Brandi and Family, Your strength through this is unreal, it took me several "breathers" to get through your posts. I know this must be so very, very hard for you all. How sweet your daughter is.
    I will continue to pray and I am looking forward to your post that celebrates Landon coming home and being with you all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brandi and Dylan-
    My thoughts are with you both during this time. I believe in miracles and the power of prayer. God has a plan for each life He has created and I’m sure God has special plans for him. Stay strong, keep your faith, and remember the Lord is with you and Landon every second of the day.
    Tori

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hang in there. Our thoughts and positive energy are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brandi & Dylan -

    I am praying for you each and every day. Stay strong. He is a very precious baby!
    -katie neuman

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Brandi, Dylan, Addison, and Landon,

    A friend sent me the prayer request for your precious Landon Saturday, and I have been praying every day, and I have sent the request on the several of my friends. We don't know you, but we are part of your family! The Lord is holding Landon in His hand! Today I received another email stating his heart was better and the hole had closed and he doesn't need surgery to repair it. Isn't our Father magnificent! No one but God knows the reason for this trial, but I do know how much he loves you all and he will bless your family beyond measure.

    Blessings in Jesus' mighty name.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thinking of all of you daily and praying that little Landon improves with each passing day.

    ReplyDelete