Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2012

Blackleaf Climbing

With our friends Cory, Shane and Claudia we went up to Blackleaf Canyon for an awesome day of rock climbing. Dylan, Shane, Addi and Landon were there for moral support and as our camera crew. They had a fun day hiking around and watching us from their camp chairs in the parking area !



Both Cory and Claudia are experienced climbers and it is fun to watch them climb. They both are so patient and excellent teachers. I learned so, so much from both of them and I left feeling a lot more comfortable.

After many 5.6, 5.8 & 5.9 climbs Cory was ready to go for a massive 5.11 that he has had is eye on. To get to it we had to climb a 5.6, daisy chain ourselves to the anchor and then Claudia belayed Cory up from there and to get down I had to self-repel from the anchor. Cory climbed the 5.6 first and then top-belayed Claudia and I. We were able to climb together, at the same time. WOW! Once we reached Cory at the top we all three attached to the anchor. I was attached to the anchor by my daisy chain and twice with my rope, but standing on the teeny edge with Cory climbing a ridiculous route above me had me so outside of my comfort zone. I had to keep myself self in-check mentally. The wind was trying to rip us off the face, Cory fell several feet (note, he was lead climbing a 5.11) and I did not fully trust my gear. Once I had my two feet securely back on the ground I was able to appreciate how awesome it was. The first multi-pitch climb I was apart of! There were so many different elements I learned on this one climb alone.


Cory easing us back into it --setting up a 5.6 climb for us!
He is a very confident lead climber.


That's me! Working my way up on a 5.6.


Claudia working the crack on a 5.9

Yay girl, straddle that crack!

Me climbing a 5.9 route.
                                 
Addison working a 5.6. She did really well.
Once she got her 
brave back so was all about it.
Her favorite part is repelling back down!





No comments:

Post a Comment