Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Mom Update

Well, more news. Unfortunately, more news with mom's cancer these days brings more invasive procedures and unknown outcomes. Last I updated they had removed more masses under her chin and lymph nodes. These came back cancer positive and they have decided to proceed with radiation. She will have to have a feeding tube inserted through her belly in order to eat through the radiation. They also found some sort of mass or something in her lungs or chest. She goes in today and they are going to biopsy it.

Mom's attitude with all of this is so frustrating. She tries to hide or minimize information that she receives and is so positive that is makes me so angry. I know she is trying to put up a "its not a big deal" front so people don't worry about her but in order for her to get through this I feel that she needs to accept what is happening and confront it realistically. So, the information that I receive is vague at best. She won't allow me to go to doctor's appointments with her or pick her up from procedures.

She is supposed to start radiation in 5 weeks or so. One of her doctor also feels maybe she never had RA, maybe it was the cancer attacking her joints all along. I truly feel it is a lot more serious than she realizes and is letting on. I sure hope her doctors aren't minimizing the situation for her either. I am the type of person who needs ALL the information. I don't want it sugar coated. It is up to me to handle the information the way I choose. I wish I could talk mom into just allowing me in to cry with her or scream with her or just know with her. No one should have to protect everyone from any situation and go through this walk all alone.

3 comments:

  1. Well, Brandi, this is more information than we have received down here (long distance). I spoke to her last week, but I guess that was before all of this and yes, she is very guarded and doesn't want to say anything bad about this whole situation. I think she may talk to Becky more, but Bobbi gets mad at Becky if she shares any info. Thanks for the updates and thanks for your Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always here for you to cry with, scream with, and drink with...I love you and am so sorry you have to go through this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi, I'm so sorry to hear all of this. I can't imagine how difficult and stressful this is for you & your family right now...thinking of you. Julie

    ReplyDelete