Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

I Like Boring

A typical phone call from my Dad this morning and he asks, "What's new?" I reply, "Absolutely nothing. My life is boring lately." Dad tells me a story of a man he knows, someone from work. Dad called him with a job and the man tells him that it may take a little longer to get the work done as his wife was just diagnosed with two types of cancer, one being brain cancer. The man asks my Dad to bear with him as he works out his schedule. Dad offers to call someone else, but the man says he needs the work, he needs the money. As my heart breaks for this man and his wife ... strangers, I say a silent prayer ... Lord make their lives boring.

I was reminded that I like boring. 

This morning I was sleepily sipping coffee on the couch. The good stuff that Uncle Spencer brought stirred with the homemade vanilla/almond creamer that I love so much. My feet were snuggled in my slippers. The Christmas tree lights were on, illuminating two sweet, little faces. My babies were still in their jammies huddled over a musical Christmas book, giggling. We were together, with nowhere we needed to be. 

But today was boring. All I have on my to-do-list is to pick up milk and eggs for breakfast tomorrow.  I need to stop by the post office to drop off some bills. And of course there is laundry piled up downstairs. Landon's pants are covered in dog hair from crawling around, which means I have to clean the endless dog hair off my floors, again.

Boring means I have groceries to put away.  Boring means my bills are paid. And boring means my children are dressed in warm, clean clothes. Boring means I have two loyal, protective dogs, however hairy, they love us. Boring means I am home with my kids and there is nowhere in the world I would rather be.

Boring means I don't even have to think about what to make for dinner tonight. My friends offered to make dinner and bring it over tonight!

Boring means I am not holding my breath as I walk Landon into a doctor's appointment. Boring means I am not walking out of the NICU without him. Boring means Addison is healthy and happy and her biggest worry is whether to wear matched or unmatched socks today.

Boring means my family and friends are safe, we are not suffering. Boring means we are feeling no grief or loss.

It may be too windy to go on a walk today, but boring means I am warm in my home. Warm and safe.

Boring means I am content. I feel joy and love every boring day.

Life isn't always boring and I needed this reminder.

Today I am thankful for a typical, boring day.

{Thanks Dad, for the reminder that sometimes boring is a blessing.}

1 comment: