Pages

Friday, July 3, 2009

Our dogs were not at Dog Lake




Dylan did not have his Friday Clinic today! We took advantage of his time off and headed out for a hike. We hiked into Dog Lake, a small mountain lake in Big Cottonwood Canyon. The trail winded through a beautiful aspen forest. The forest floor was littered with wildflowers of all colors. It was green and cool. After hiking for a mile or so we stopped near the creek to eat lunch. Addison enjoyed splashing through the shallow creek saying hello to passing hikers. For the most part the trail climbed gradually. The final half mile or so was a much more drastic climb.
The lake is called Dog Lake for a good reason. I was looking forward to the silent solitude mountain lakes bring in Montana. However, that is not what we found. We found 40 or 50 people littering the lake shore with about half as many dogs running around and destroying the natural silence I was looking forward to. Don't get me wrong, seeing the dogs and families enjoying the lake was great, but annoying at the same time! It was more a mountain pond then a mountain lake, so finding a spot to sit that wasn't already occupied by somebody else was difficult! We sat down at our chosen spot just to have a lady come sit not 10 feet from us. Oh, big city people!! They hike 3 miles or so into a lake to go sit right next to strangers. I feel that they truly lose all function if they are not in someone's personal bubble. I am surprised they don't bring a radio with them, blaring street noise and honking horns!! There were two trails that brought you to the lake, apparently. One trail that allows you to bring your dogs along and the trail we choose. The trail we took was strictly posted, "No dogs allowed. Protect your watershed." Dylan kept saying, "Mason would love it here!" Sad to say, our dogs were not at Dog Lake today. It is so funny how bad Dylan and I feel when we think our dogs are missing out on something! Especially something fun. I see my dad shaking his head and saying, "crazy dog people!!"
I sat huddled on a log watching Dylan and Addison walk around the lake meeting the dogs and chatting to the owners about their dogs! I watched as Addison befriended a giant Bernese Mountain dog, throwing him a stick and squealing with joy as he slimmed her with dog kisses. I watched Dylan hold Addi's hand as she waded into the freezing cold lake. Going out a little further each time. It was a sweet. I love watching Addison and Dylan together. Watching them when they don't know I am watching. They are so adorable together. On a side note, the other morning, Addison woke up in the morning. I went to her crib to say good morning and get her up. She looked at me with excitement and said, "Dadda??" I said, "Oh, dadda is at school." She was so upset, she pushed me away and said, "Noooo, dadda", when I tried to pick her up.

It was a great start to a great weekend. Only the second to the last weekend Addison and I have in Salt Lake. Tonight we are planning on taking Addi to the the drive-in movie theater to see "Ice Age 3". I remember quite vividly seeing "ET" with my parents at the drive-in when I was 3 or so.

Tomorrow is Addison's 2nd Fourth of July. Last year Dave and Emily came down for a visit. We had a great weekend. We went to the (not-so-)Great Salt Lake, cooked ribs and went to Sugarhouse Park (along with literally a million other people) to watch fireworks. I will never forget Dave and Em's face when we saw all the people at the park watching the fireworks. It looked just like an ant hill! We played a little chewing gum prank on the unsuspecting walker-bys!! Oh, how something so childish can be so funny. I remember Addi was amazed by the fireworks. She watched in awe. Hopefully, she will like them this year. Lately, she gets a little startled by thunder and lightening.

3 comments:

  1. Molly & Mason together again...true soul mates. D & I read together tonight. I almost started crying for some reason?! We really enjoyed reminiscing about our trip there & the beloved gum game! Keep it up, it is the only reading that I can stand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I love your blog! It's a fun way to keep friends and family updated. More people will read than you might think and the pictures are fun too. Have a great 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let me try and comment on this post again...I still couldn't get it to work on the first post! weird!

    ReplyDelete