Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

A Dare to Give Thanks

My mother-in-law gave me a book for Christmas -- One Thousand Gifts, written by Ann Voskamp. I have only begun the book, but I am really enjoying it. I am reading it slow, with a highlighter.
In keeping with the spirit of this book I have dared myself to make a list of 1,000 gifts in my life. One thousand things I am thankful for. In passing, it is easy to take for granted the small gifts that make the whole of my life incredibly special. I am daring myself to slow time down, live a full life, give thanks for the gifts in my life, take in each and every moment and to live by this - "Wherever you are, be all there".

1. Soft skin of baby's cheeks
2. Sunlight through dark, storm clouds
3. Secrets whispered through daughter's sweet, pink lips
4. Fuzzy baby hair
5. Tender kisses from my husband on my cheek. It is early morning, he thinks I am asleep and the kiss a secret.
6. New socks
7. Fresh snow sparkling under Montana's big, blue sky
8. Cool, clean drinking water
9. Long talks with a close friend. Laughter. Tears. Bonding.
10. Campfires
11. Fresh fruit
12. Live, acoustic guitar music
13. Baby animals
14. My Lab's soft ears rubbed on my cheek
15. Fresh hair cut
16. Wildlife photography
17. Wildflowers, freshly picked. Displayed proudly in clear glass vase.
18. Hot, bubble baths
19. Deep, dark red wine.
20. Warm sand hugging toes
21. Solitary bald eagle perched high on top snowy, pine tree
22. Long, slow swim in cool mountain lake
23. Muddy Jeep tires
24. Tender hugs of encouragement from my dad
25. Cowgirl boots
26. Phone calls from my niece Ellie
27. Falling asleep with my baby on my chest
28. My Granny's handwriting and receiving handwritten cards from her
29. Purring kittens
30. Stories told by my Grandfather
31. Whale songs
32. Freshly gathered farm eggs
33. Old black and white photography
34. Winter songs of a chickadee
35. The smell of freshly cut hay fields
36. Reminiscing with mine sister about our childhood
37. The baby blue color of robin's eggs
38. Handwritten notes from my mother
39. Happy endings
40. Salty chips and salsa
41. Shooting stars
42. My children's belly laughs
43. Extra cheese on Italian food
44. New hats
45. Hiking in the fall

{I will continue to share my list as I compile it}

1 comment:

  1. This list tells a lot about who you are. I see in this list your bond with your family, your love of the outdoors and how unmaterialistic you are! Love you tons!

    ReplyDelete